Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Bonnie's got news

Hi everyone. I've been doing something fun now going on my third week. I'm writing book reviews for the online newspaper Examiner.com.

Please visit me here to take a gander at my reviews so far. Here's a little preview....

If you like your books Southern fried with a dash of romance and served up with a side of revenge (cold of course), then Mary Kay Andrews’s, Savannah Breeze is for you. Spirited Southern belle BeBe Loudermilk may be classy and resourceful but she has lousy taste in men. She finds herself in lust with Reddy Millbanks III who masquerades as an investment banker by day but is really nothing more than a low life con man. When BeBe suddenly finds herself stripped of not only her finances but those of her grandparents, her Southern grit is set in motion.

Once the dust is settled and sorted out, BeBe finds that she is owner of a ramshackle 1950s motel on Tybee Island, definitely not the type of place a former Savannah deb would set foot on. More than likely, this is the work of Vile Reddy for reasons as yet unknown. BeBe heads to Tybee to see what she can make of the place and meets up with its crusty caretaker Harry Sorrentino and a billboard advertising The Sandcastle -14 luxury ocean front villas selling at pre-construction prices of $600,000 right on BeBe’s property. Suddenly, Reddy's intentions become crystal clear.

In the midst of fighting with and falling for the constantly cranky Harry, BeBe is suddenly alerted to a “Reddy Sighting” in Florida. Quickly a plot to con the con man is hatched and BeBe’s motley crew hits the road with Harry driving, BeBe riding shotgun, best friend Weezie in the back, and her grandfather, who wants in on the action, asleep and snoring in the backseat. With a little luck, BeBe might be able to turn events around, Reddy will end up in prison stripes, and Harry...well, Harry…hmmm.

Savannah Breeze (BeBe’s story) is the very enjoyable sequel to Savannah Blues (Weezie’s story) with both characters doing cross over visits to each other’s novels. Mary Kay Andrews knows a thing or two about Southern belles as she is one herself and is a former journalist for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. In each of her books you soak up the charm of the South and find all the emotions needed for a great read, a little pathos, lots of zany, hysterical, aha moments and most of all characters that leap at you with a lot of heart.

Savannah Breeze makes for a great beach read and does come with a recipe for a spirited cocktail to enjoy with the book.

Blue Breeze Cocktail:

Pour into cocktail shaker:

4 ounces lemonade, 2 ounces vodka, 1 ounce blue curacao

Shake, pour over tall glass of cracked ice, top with seltzer, and stir. Garnish with lime slice and 3-4 blueberries threaded on a cocktail pick.

Enjoy.

I hope you enjoyed this sneak peak of Savanah Breeze. Besides reviews, I also plan future articles on the book scene in San Diego and just about anything relating to the world of books. If you have any suggestions for books to review or article ideas, just let me know and I'll do my best to cover it for you.

Feel free to visit me as often as you like, I do get recognition with each page view I get. You can also sign up for email alerts letting you know I've got something new for you to consider reading.

PS - be sure to share the love with other book fanatics. The more the merrier!

5 comments:

  1. My dearest Bonnie,
    You are really good woman! Your review alone is a story worthy to read and write ABOUT! I am so happy for you that you had the guts to go out and say, "I want a job writing." You took the first step and here you are. May your life be filled with more open doors of opportunity and success. I will go visit the site and give you an open door of recognition. Bravo. Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm off to visit you at the other p.l.a.c.e!

    The Texas Woman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Bonnie! I am soooo impressed! I can't wait to run over and check it out! BTW...that book sounds wonderful! I used to go to Savannah and Tybee Island regularly, so I know I will enjoy reading about it....especially if it is written as well as your review!! Congratulations!...hugs..Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE good FUN summer reads! I will have to check her out... I heard about another book by her too.. The Fixer Upper.

    ReplyDelete