Sunday, October 2, 2011

Bits and Pieces of September

I wasn’t feeling like getting out of bed this morning. In fact I spent most of my morning in bed with a slight headache and general blah feeling. This feeling continued when I stopped at the gas station and filled up at $3.79 a gallon. I thought the prices were supposed to be going down…oh, ok they did but by a whopping 10 cents.

A few things have happened since I last posted like... I didn’t tell you about the great SoCal power outage of 2011. Sure it’s not like you’ve never experienced the power going out BUT the circumstances were quite unusual. The “dark” started in Arizona and spread to southern California from San Clemente to San Diego (around 3:30pm) and across the border to Mexico. People in New Mexico and parts of Texas also experienced the outage that was caused by human error. Thankfully, the outage in my area did not last the two days the officials predicted and my power was restored sometime after midnight.

Who turned the lights out?


Ay, ay ay!


This is what happens when everyone leaves work at the same time.

Freakin' gridlock!


Happy birthday to me! Yes another year older on Sept. 16. I actually celebrated on that Sunday with a trip to the movies (Contagion) followed by a round of margaritas (hold the salt!). I found the movie to be a bit long and the margaritas refreshing and delightful!

Truth or dare....Uh, truth...ok so...I am looooong past 21 years old!


My margaritas must always be slushy with no salt on the rim!


On my birthday weekend I did manage a stop at Goodwill and picked up a few things. I was looking for some sweaters since the weather is changing and last year’s warm clothing no longer fits. I found a great cowl neck sweater with ¾ length sleeves that was from The Gap for $7, a cute leopard print bucket hat for $1.99 and an adorable pearl rope necklace that was $3. I’ll probably go back in two weeks or so to look for more sweaters.

I've had this for a while now but never posted, a brand new sweater for $3 and a colorful top for $2.


Yesterday I reviewed the 2010 entries on my blog. I thought it might be fun if I provide a link or two to a few of my favorite”vintage” posts. I thought I’d start off with this one of John Lennon and Yoko Ono. While reviewing my posts I realized how much fun I had doing them. It’s really a great creative exercise. I also realized how my posts have changed especially since I lost my camera. I’m really going to have to buckle down and save up for a new camera because I enjoy taking and sharing photos of my jaunts around town, the neighborhood and my latest thrift shop finds.

John and Yoko in Central Park 1980


I do have some sad news to deliver. My very sweet dog, Sadie, has been diagnosed with cancer of the lymph nodes. On a previous visit to the vet (about a month ago) she had unexplainably lost 14 pounds in two months so the goal was to put some weight back on. On our most recent visit, I was positive Sadie had put on some weight but was devastated to find she had actually lost 4 more pounds and that is when the doctor gave me the news.

My sweetie pie


Sadie has been my constant companion since 2001. She has always been a happy, sweet and loving dog. She helped me through my own cancer and was a hard task master insisting I continue our evening walks as usual even on chemo day. She made me look beyond my own poor pitiful self and LIVE each and every day. The day Sadie came to live with me was my lucky day. Right now Sadie is holding her own and I concentrate on keeping her as happy and comfortable as I possibly can.

Give you favorite little furry someone an extra hug tonight!

Peace out from Sadie, Kitty and your friendly blogger.

14 comments:

  1. So good to hear from you, Bonnie! And I am glad you had a wonderful birthday! But I am saddened to hear about Sadie. I understand how much a fur baby can come to mean in your life and I know this must be so hard for you. I am sending you some extra hugs and, yes, giving some extra hugs to my staff tonight. Please keep us posted on sweet Sadie...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've missed you here in Blog Land. Although I live in Orange County...I live in an area that wasn't affected by the power outage...but I heard it was awful due to the fact it was very hot that day...right? I love the Goodwill...my favorite place to shop. Give Sadie a big hug from Auntie Bunny and I will be sending some good karma her way.

    tootles,
    bunny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've missed you, Bonnie.
    I'm so sad for beautiful Sadie, she looks such a kind hearted doggie, I'm sending her lots of love from across the pond.
    Happy belated birthday wishes, my dear. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie,
    Happy Belated Birthday!
    I hate the traffic in California, I used to live about 2 hrs away from San Diego.
    lots of healing energies to your sweet Sadie.
    Gracias, for visiting my blog.

    besitos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to have you back to posting again! Happy belated birthday:)!

    Blessings,

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG Bonnie - September sure is a lot of ups and downs for you. First, wanted to wish you a belated happy birthday! Sounds like you celebrated it well. Second, I'm sorry to hear that Sadie has been diagnosed with cancer...I'm sure it's tough for you both.

    Just like you, I've been feeling blah myself lately. For me, it's just the quick summer that disappeared and this crazy gray weather in San Diego. Well, let's make a pact from one SD blogger to another, let's ignore this gray glum and start living like we have the old sunny blue skies still...after all, we're paying for it, that's for sure.

    Cheerio my dear!
    -Marie

    ReplyDelete
  7. O,darling Bonnie,I'm SO sad to hear about Sadie.The precious girl.It's so awful when our babies are ill,thank goodness she has you for a mummy!
    And a very happy birthday,sweetheart.Shame it's been a bit blighted,but it sounds like you've managed to have some celebrations!! I like a little bit of salt on my margaritas,and definetly slushy!!!
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi my dear! I did write you a comment yesterday but I'm having problems with them publishing for some reason? Wishing you a belated Happy Birthday and give Sadie a big hug from me, so sorry to hear of her sad news. Love your thrifted pieces, nice bright pieces for Autumn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh a belated happy birthday to you and many thanks for a gift of a post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry to hear about Sadie. You've been a busy one lately. The sweater is so cute, as blue is one of my favs in the Fall. I know what you mean about the outage in So. Cal. We had an outage this summer also. Oh, Happy belated Birthday. Jess just had one in October. Loved your post today and the pictures.
    ~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sooo sorry to hear about Sadie :( I hope she makes a full recovery! Give her a tickle behind the ears rom me :D

    I am glad you had a great birthday though - keep smiling!

    Sal xXx

    ReplyDelete
  12. A long time since my last visit, my apologies for this, I thought I'd stop by to say hello and to wish you and yours well.

    ReplyDelete